Servings: 6 | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 ½ cups chopped onion
2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
8 oz. whole fresh mushrooms, wiped clean with damp towel and cut into halves
1 can (28 oz.) of Whole Peeled Tomatoes, drained
1 can (14.5 oz.) of Cut Green Beans, drained
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1 tbsp. dried basil
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
¼ tsp. dried red pepper flakes, optional
12 oz. uncooked whole grain penne pasta
Salt and pepper, to taste
¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onion and bell pepper 4 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, basil, oregano and pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until peppers are tender, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
- Remove tomato mixture from heat, stir in remaining oil and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve tomato mixture over pasta and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
Please use safe handling and cooking procedures when preparing any food. To avoid food borne illness, the USDA and FDA recommend thoroughly cooking meat, eggs, shellfish, poultry and fish to minimum internal temperatures as measured with a food thermometer. More information is available at www.fightbac.org.
Product names and other trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders.